Marked Tree is located between the St. Francis and Little rivers in the area known as the “sunken lands,” which was created by the New Madrid Earthquakes of 1811-1812. The town supposedly acquired its name from an oak tree on the bank of the Little River that was marked with an “M” in the 1830s by John Murrell’s gang of outlaws. Marked Tree prospered after the completion in 1883 of the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad (later the Frisco). By the 1890s, the timber industry dominated the local economy. The region was plagued by frequent flooding, and in response to the devastating Flood of 1927, the Corps of Engineers constructed the Marked Tree Lock & Siphons in the late 1930s to control flooding and provide transportation along the St. Francis River. Better flood control methods allowed farmers to grow more crops, including cotton, corn, soybeans and rice. Co-sponsored by the Marked Tree Chamber of Commerce. Meet at the Farmers and Merchants Bank and Trust Building (Poinsett County Drainage District No. 7 Office) at 11 Frisco St.
Time: 11 A.M. – 1 P.M.
Date: December 14, 2013
Begin: 11 Fisco St. Marked Tree, Arkansas
Host: Rachel Silva, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
Registration: No, all are welcome
Accessibility: This event is accessible and open to Seniors, Children