Banner photo courtesy of Big Car Collaborative, Indianapolis, 2013 Southside Stroll
Want to Host a Walk?
Jane Jacobs Walk Hosts:
Anyone can host a Jane Jacobs Walk.
- All of our events are led by volunteers hosts, either individuals or organizations, who have a passion for the places in which they live, work, and play.
- All walks are given and taken for free.
- Jane Jacobs Walks can be organized and led at any time of the year.
- Jane Jacobs Walk events can take place annually on the first weekend of May to coincide with Jane Jacobs’ birthday.
Hosts encourage active engagement during their event.
- Hosts lead the conversation with interesting insights and stories about their neighborhood
- Hosts also encourage people to share their own opinions and observations.
- Participants get the opportunity to meet neighbors face to face and hear each others’ ideas.
Hosts don’t have to be familiar with Jane Jacobs’ work to lead a tour.
- The exchange of ideas and getting to know your community is the purpose of Jane Jacobs Walk.
- Hosts may gain insights from Jacobs’ work that may add to the dialogue of their events, but the most valuable insights will be from participants.
- We encourage people to find out more by reading Jacob’s books or consulting our website for more information and primers on her ideas.
Tips for Hosts
A Jane Jacobs Walk doesn’t necessarily have to be a walk at all.
Many of our events are bicycle rides, wheelchair rolls, or transit tours. The important thing is to showcase areas of your city, all the while getting people out of their cars, slowing down, and observing their surroundings. Tour guides don’t have to be familiar with Jane Jacobs’ work to lead a tour, but we encourage everyone to find out more by reading her books or consulting our website for more links and primers on her ideas.
Resources for Hosts:
Jane Jacobs Walk logo (png download) to be used in your promotion of the event.
Jane Jacobs Primers COMING SOON
Template for Media Press Release